«City of South Padre Island, Texas Request for Holiday Pyrotechnic Display PART I GENERAL INFORMATION PURPOSE: The City of South Padre Island, Texas ...»
City of South Padre Island, Texas
Request for Holiday Pyrotechnic Display
The City of South Padre Island, Texas is seeking proposals to provide a pyrotechnic displays from
the Laguna Madre Bay behind Louie’s Backyard on or around the Memorial Day, Fourth of July and
Labor Day holidays. The initial contract period will begin May 1, 2015, and end April 30, 2016. At
the City’s option, the contract may be renewed for three (3) additional one year periods.
This Request for Proposals (RFP) is designed to present interested firms with the description of the City’s current investment policy, the services we require, and a format for responding to our request.
For the past approximate twenty years, the City of South Padre Island has been providing Fireworks Displays from the Laguna Madre Bay in proximity to the City’s Entertainment District; Laguna Boulevard between Palm Street and Amberjack Street.
We are, therefore, seeking a pyrotechnic company with the experience and resources to perform these fireworks presentation
The City of South Padre Island is a unique, friendly seaside resort community that values its residents and tourists, preserves and protects the natural environment, and provides for quality sustainable growth and development that is highly diverse and responsive to changing economic conditions. The City is located on a 34-mile long sub-tropical Island, in Cameron County, on the Gulf Coast of Texas, 25 miles north of the Mexican Border. The island is a half-mile wide at its widest point and only the island’s southernmost 5 miles are developed. The City was incorporated in 1973 and is linked to the Texas mainland by Texas’ longest bridge. The 2.5 mile long, four-lane divided, tollfree Queen Isabella Causeway was completed in 1974. The City operates as a home rule law municipality pursuant to the laws of the State of Texas.
Tourism is the principal industry in the City, with an estimated 5.1 million visitors coming to the island annually. Water resources have been the dominant factor in the development of the City. The Gulf provides approximately 23 miles of beach front in Cameron County, approximately 5 miles of which is situated in the City. As noted, the island has become popular for vacationers and retirees.
The Gulf also provides a means for shipping cargo, for fishing interests (both commercial and sporting) and for boating. The body of water between Padre Island and the mainland is the Laguna Madre, providing bay front property for development. The inter-coastal waterway located in the Laguna Madre is maintained by the US Army Corps of Engineers as a water route for shipping.
1 “A Certified Retirement Community” 4601 Padre Boulevard • South Padre Island, Texas 78597 • 956.761.6456 • Fax 956.761.3888 City of South Padre Island, Texas Request for Holiday Pyrotechnic Display As part of the Tourist experience on South Padre Island, the City works to provide a number of activities on the Island to benefit residents, local and regional tourists. One of those activities is a series of fireworks displays that occur during the summer holidays for over twenty years and continue to be a highlight of the summer season.
The following definitions shall be used for identified terms throughout the specification and proposal
Agreement – a mutually binding legal document obligating the Contractor to furnish the • goods, equipment or services, and obligating the City to pay for it.
City – identifies the City of South Padre Island, Cameron County, Texas.
• Contractor – a person or business enterprise providing goods, equipment, labor and/or • services to the City as fulfillment of obligations arising from a contract or purchase order.
Deliverables – the goods, products, materials, and/or services to be provided to the City by • vendor if awarded agreement.
Goods - represent materials, supplies, commodities and equipment.
• Proposal – complete, properly signed response to a Solicitation that if accepted, would bind • the Proposer to perform the resulting agreement.
Proposer - identified throughout this specification shall describe persons and entities that • consider themselves qualified to provide the goods, equipment or services.
Services – work performed to meet a demand. The furnishing of labor, time, or effort by the • vendor and their ability to comply with promised delivery dates, specifications, and technical assistance specified.
Subcontractor - any person or business enterprise providing goods, equipment, labor, and/or • services to a Contractor if such goods, equipment, labor, and/or services are procured or used in fulfillment of the Contractor’s obligations arising from a contract with the City.
Vendor (sometimes referred to as Contractor) – a person or business enterprise providing • goods, equipment, labor and/or services to the City as fulfillment of obligations arising from an agreement or purchase order.
4601 Padre Boulevard • South Padre Island, Texas 78597 • 956.761.6456 • Fax 956.761.3888 City of South Padre Island, Texas Request for Holiday Pyrotechnic Display of interest with a local government entity. The Conflict of Interest Questionnaire form is available from the Texas Ethics Commission at www.ethics.state.tx.us. Completed conflict of Interest Questionnaires may be mailed or delivered by hand to the City Secretary. If mailing a completed
form, please mail to:
City of South Padre Island, Texas Susan Hill - City Secretary 4601 Padre Blvd.
South Padre Island, Texas 78597 Any attempt to intentionally or unintentionally conceal or obfuscate a conflict of interest may automatically result in the disqualification of the vendor’s Proposal.
For clarification of specifications, proposers may contact:
William A. DiLibero City Manager City of South Padre Island Telephone: 956-761-8108 firstname.lastname@example.org or Rodrigo Gimenez Finance Director City of South Padre Island Telephone: 956-761-8130 email@example.com The individuals listed above may be contacted by telephone or visited for clarification of the specifications only. No authority is intended or implied that specifications may be amended or alterations accepted prior to proposal opening without written approval of the City of South Padre Island through the City Manager’s office.
4601 Padre Boulevard • South Padre Island, Texas 78597 • 956.761.6456 • Fax 956.761.3888 City of South Padre Island, Texas Request for Holiday Pyrotechnic Display PART II
It is the City’s intent to comply with the following timeline:
NOTE: These dates represent a tentative schedule of events. The City reserves the right to modify these dates at any time, with appropriate notice to known Proposers.
PROPOSAL DUE DATE:
Sealed Proposals are due no later than 1:00 p.m. on March 20, 2015, to the City of South Padre Island.
City of South Padre Island, Texas Attn: Susan Hill City Secretary 4601 Padre Blvd.
South Padre Island, Texas 78597 Proposals received after this time and date will not be considered.
Sealed Proposals shall be clearly marked “DO NOT OPEN – Pyrotechnic Services”.
Facsimile or electronically transmitted Proposals are not acceptable.
Each Proposal shall contain two (2) bound originals and one (1) copy.
Results of the submitted Proposals will be available after the City Council selects the successful Contractor.
It is intended that this RFP describe the requirements and Proposal format in sufficient detail to
secure comparable Proposals. Interested and qualified firms shall:
4601 Padre Boulevard • South Padre Island, Texas 78597 • 956.761.6456 • Fax 956.761.3888 City of South Padre Island, Texas Request for Holiday Pyrotechnic Display Submit two (2) bound originals and one (1) copy of materials that demonstrate the Proposer’s • ability to meet City requirements as specified in this Request for Proposals.
Responding firms shall submit Proposals in the following format and sequence:
• Describe the organization, date founded, ownership of your company, as well as any subsidiaries and affiliates relevant to the City.
• Describe the experience of the company in providing fireworks displays for municipalities and other public entities, including range and average dollar amount of municipal funds spent on fireworks displays.
• Identify the key personnel of your staff committed to the City’s fireworks display and their credentials.
• Presentation shall be a minimum of ten minutes in length and a maximum of thirty minutes in length
• Presentation shall be choreographed with a musical score playing as background to the fireworks display.
• The fireworks display shall take place from a minimum of one barge located in the Laguna Madre Bay in proximity to the City’s Entertainment District (between Palm and Amberjack streets).
• Provide Base rate for each fireworks display.
• Provide total fee for the three fireworks display.
• The Fee shall be inclusive of all costs associated with the Fireworks display.
• The City reserves the right to clarify and/or negotiate fees prior to contract approval.
4601 Padre Boulevard • South Padre Island, Texas 78597 • 956.761.6456 • Fax 956.761.3888 City of South Padre Island, Texas Request for Holiday Pyrotechnic Display Provide a list of references with address, phone and email associated with each community • listed above.
Provide a copy of the Company’s BATFE Distributors or Importers license.
• Provide location and approval of ATF Storage facility for local storage of fireworks.
• Provide a State of Texas Distributor or Importers License.
• Provide name and copy of CDL/Hazmat license of Driver associated with the fireworks • displays.
Provide all applicable licenses and approvals required for safe transport of fireworks;
• including DOT and FMCSA.
Provide documentation of all necessary insurance; including General Liability of $5 million • per occurrence; Products and Completed Operations Liability Insurance; Insurance covering marine operations and Worker’s Compensation meeting Texas Statutory requirement.
Proof of access to a minimum of one thirty –foot by sixty-foot (30’ x 60’) barge for use in • discharging fireworks charges. Proof of ownership or contract for available dates must be provided with proposal.
• Agreement Term shall reflect an initial contract period to begin May 1, 2015 ending April 30, 2016 with an option for three (3) one-year renewals upon City Council approval.
• A Responder may withdraw their Proposal by submitting a written request for its withdrawal by the signature of an authorized individual to the Purchasing Agent any time prior to the submission deadline. The prospective Responder may thereafter offer a new Proposal prior to the deadline. Modifications offered in any manner will not be considered if submitted after the deadline.
CLARIFICATION OF PROPOSAL:
The City, in its sole discretion, expressly reserves the right to request and/or require any additional information from the Proposer(s) that it may deem relevant with respect to this RFP. The contents of the Proposal and any clarification or counter-Proposal thereto submitted by the successful vendor shall become part of the contractual obligation and incorporated by reference into the ensuing contract.
BEST VALUE EVALUATION:
All proposals received shall be evaluated based on the best value for the City. Best value shall be determined by considering all or part of the criteria listed below, as well as any relevant criteria specifically listed in the solicitation.
4601 Padre Boulevard • South Padre Island, Texas 78597 • 956.761.6456 • Fax 956.761.3888 City of South Padre Island, Texas Request for Holiday Pyrotechnic Display Proposal price;
• Reputation of the Proposer and of Proposer’s goods and services;
• The quality of the Proposer’s goods or services;
• The extent to which the goods or services meet the City’s needs;
• Proposer’s past relationship with the City. All vendors shall be evaluated on their past • performance and prior dealings with the City or other clients to include, but not limited to, failure to meet specifications, poor quality, poor workmanship, and late delivery.
• A committee comprised of City Staff and others as appropriate will review the Proposals and may develop a short list of firms.
• Interviews and/or demonstrations may be conducted with any responding firms/teams to discuss their qualifications, resources, and availability to provide the services requested.
• The City will not provide compensation or defray any cost incurred by any firm related to the Proposal or this request.
• The City reserves the right to request additional information or to meet with representatives from proposing organizations to discuss points in the proposal after submission, any and all of which may be used in forming a recommendation.